17 Ekim 2012 Çarşamba

What We Talk About When We Talk About Music

The vinyl shop was empty. He was spending his entire day behind the cashier: Accepting new records, signing another contracts, making another coffee, and waiting for a customer. It was before noon, when the entrance door opened all of a sudden. A man in a suit, two cell phones in two hands, and a five year old kid.  

‘’Hey baby bro,’’ yelled the man, in a hurry.  


He replied ‘’Hey,’’ and faded the music. 


‘’Looking good! Nice place you’ve got here! How is everything! Look I wish I could talk more, but I have this meeting to catch, you wouldn’t mind to look after Jr., would you? It’s only for two nights…’’ 


 ‘’Look… I don’t think it’s such a good idea… You know… I barely can look after myself… And where have you been anyways? It’s been months since I have talked to you…’’ 


The cell phone rang. ‘’Yes! I’m on my way! Yes! I’ve signed the contract. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes. Yes! Everything’s fine. Yes! I’ll see you there! Bye!’’ 


‘’Fuck you Lloyd! You don’t call, you don’t answer, now you’re giving me your kid. Where’s your wife? Have you called Mom and Dad?’’ 


‘’I can’t call them right now! I have this business to make! And Jr. promised me to be in his best behavior, right Jr.?’’ 


Nodding his head, looking elsewhere. 


‘’Just go…’’ 


Unearthly silence. 


‘’You know who I am?’’ he asked. 

Nodding. 
‘’Who am I?’’ 
‘’The uncle who likes music.’’ 
‘’Are you hungry?’’ 
Shaking his head. 
‘’Do you have anything to play?’’ 
Nodding. 
‘’Are you scared of me?’’ 
Shaking his head. 

Unearthly silence. 

‘’Do you like music?’’ 
Nodding. 
‘’Who do you like?’’ 
Biting his lips. 
‘’I like the Panda song…’’ 
‘’The panda song? What else?’’ 
Biting his lips harder. 
‘’I like the Elephant song…’’ 
‘’Elephant song? What in the hell are you talking about?’’ 
A soft voice: ‘’I have the CD if you want…’’ 
‘’Give me that,’’ 

A stupid panda on the cover, grinning with other animals. Like most of the days, he inserted the CD, leaned on his back, took a sip of his coffee, and kept smiling the rest of the day to the kid, listening the Panda Song.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder